The Ouse is tidal up to Naburn Lock and all the Dales rivers feed into the Ouse . . . .
Cawood is an ancient crossing point which has long been subject to the vagaries of the Ouse. Our current flood protection has nevertheless, seen us safe in recent years, despite a few close shaves!
The bridge was built in 1872, where previously river crossing was by ferry boat. It is grade 2 listed. NYCC are responsible for its maintenance and there is a weight limit on it of 10 tonnes which restricts the size of bus able to use this route. CCTV monitors traffic using the bridge.